Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Eyebrows by Chemo

So as many of you may know, I have a relatively benign desmoid tumor in my right thigh.  For clarification, it will not spread to any other parts of my body and kill me, but it might take over my leg and cause it to have to eventually be amputated.  So it's a serious problem, but not deadly serious.

Anyway, I'm currently on a dose of sorafenib or (light chemo) to treat my tumor and have been for about six months.  The side effects have not been pleasant and include a bumpy, sunburn-like rash all over my body (especially my face), hoarseness, hair lightening, alopecia (hair loss), diarrhea, vomiting, and high blood pressure.  Fortunately, I have not suffered from the last three, but I have had a bout with the first four, especially for the first couple months of being on the medication.  Most of the side effects have subsided by now, but I'm still left with a hoarse voice, a third of the head hair I used to have, and no eyebrows.

For a while I was embarrassed about my non-eyebrow situation and did my best to draw on fake ones, which hasn't been too bad.  Most people can't tell the difference, but when I wash my face at night and look up into the mirror, I'm always a bit shocked and saddened at the face staring back at me.

It's been a trial in my life and something that's taken a while to get used to.  However, I've finally decided that I don't want to just deal with this issue anymore, but rather have fun with it!  I always said that if I ended up having to shave my head from excessive hair-loss that I would wear super awesome wigs,  like afros and Cher wigs!  Now I have said an opportunity!  I have a completely blank canvas on which to be creative, but instead of that canvas being my head, it's my brow!  Hence, "Eyebrows by Chemo" began!

Here's me with my normal eyebrows drawn on for comparison.

Here's me without having drawn on any eyebrows. (Scary right?!)

And on Day #1, I present to you what I call "The Tweezer-Happy Latina."

No comments:

Post a Comment